How Long Do Vacuums Last?
Are you angry about your old vacuum not performing efficiently? You may be consulting with your friends or family members regarding this, but still not getting the proper answers.
There can be a possibility that the device has reached its end, and it is the perfect time for you to buy a new one. You might get sad after hearing this, but the bitter truth is that it is a cleaner with a specific longevity.
So, the question comes- ‘How long do vacuums last?’ If you want to know the answer, you should definitely check out this article.
Keep reading because it is highly informative and you will surely be benefited as this can make a huge impact on the performance of your cleaner.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners and Their Longevity
You will be surprised to know that there are various kinds of cleaners. Each of them comes with their own set of features and due to that, their lifespan varies.
In total, it comes in 6 types. These are:
- Robotic Vacuums
- Upright Vacuums
- Stick Vacuums
- Central Vacuums
- Hand-Held Vacuums
- Canister Vacuums
Below, you will find the description regarding of all of them so that you can get an idea about their longevity.
Who wouldn’t love a vacuum cleaner that can get the job done automatically? Everyone would, right! This one is very popular among people because of its multiple benefits and the way it makes the cleaning process smooth and effortless.
These work excellently on different kinds of surfaces but it will be best to avoid using it on thick carpets. This is because it is lightweight and doesn’t have enough power to suck up all the dust from deep fabrics.
Then latest ones are cell phone compatible and you can control everything with the help of a mobile app. They normally last up to 2 to 3 years and this short period of survival happens because they sometimes hit with obstacles. Unfortunately, in some cases these can even trip.
Plus, the technology soon becomes outdated with the emergence of updated models which can possibly divert your attention to purchase a new one.
This one is the traditional version and they are built with a central column. It also has a handle that is connected to the head of the vacuum along with a hinge. With the flexible handle, you will be able to maneuver the device from one spot to another.
The debris is collected with the help of a sealed bag or canister which is fixed with the body. In this way, you will get the opportunity to clean on different surfaces with ease. Since the vacuum is a bit heavy, it has the potential to clean thin and thick carpets along with other kinds of surfaces.
During the time it is functional, you will hear some noise, but it won’t be a problem because all your surfaces will look as good as new.
With proper maintenance, you can use it for more than a decade.
These are the lightweight version of the previous model. It is true that they are comfortable to use but you won’t get the same power that you usually get from the upright ones.
With its unique design, you can easily handle and store it without any hesitation. Besides, the maintenance is not a challenge at all. It works smoothly on ceramics, wood, and other light carpets. The dirt-collector bin is not big and there will be some noise when it operates.
If you purchase this one, it will last for around 5 to 8 years.
This device is highly suitable for commercial use. It won’t be a good choice if you purchase it for residential purposes. However, if you have huge amount of carpeting in your home, you can give this model a try.
Surprisingly, this powerful unit can last more than a decade. You can even extend its lifespan to more than two to three decades if you maintain it frequently. To achieve this, you have to replaces its parts according to the device’s condition as time goes by.
This unit comes in two forms- wired and wireless. For the former, you have to connect it to the main supply and in case of the latter, you can easily carry it hassle-free since there are no trouble with wires.
Overall, it is not strong because of its compact size and weak power. You can only clean it on the surface and it easily picks up dirt and pet hairs. The manufacturer designed it specifically for quick cleaning so you can guess the kind of performance you will receive.
With regular use, this one fails to perform according to your satisfaction. It can survive between 3 to 5 years and after that, you have to buy a new one.
This one’s power and suction are also similar to the upright models. These are corded and are comfortable to use on a daily basis. Because canister vacuums are a versatile unit, people around the world love using them and some even recommend them to others.
The main issue arises from the moving parts start to get damaged in a faster pace with regular usage. Because of this aspect, these machines last around 5 to 8 years.
When Should You Do the Replacement?
You will find out the initial problem when it starts to lose its suction power. If you have a huge amount of dust that needs to be cleaned, you will see that it is taking more time than usual.
Before you throw it out, check whether the parts require replacement or not. Clean the device and do other kind of maintenance according to the problem. After that, turn it on and analyze its performance. If the machine is still operating in a weaker manner, it is time you go for a new vacuum cleaner.
Some Final Tips
- Make sure the hoses remains clog-free all the time. If you don’t ensure this, you will have to clear a specific area multiple times and this won’t be a good experience costing you time as well as physical effort. So, whenever you detect a block, remove it as soon as possible.
- Always make the filter dirt-free. A filter that remains clogged will create problem in the suction because it blocks the flow of air when you are in the middle of vacuuming.
- In some situations, it requires heavy cleaning or else it might not function in a proper way. If you encounter this scenario, don’t think twice and get the task done immediately.
- The drive belts are quite vulnerable as it has the chance to come out of the track or stretch out. Don’t worry, your device won’t get damaged permanently. Just a simple replacement of the belts will do the work.
- Buy the one that has a good brand image because a branded cleaner has tons of positive customer reviews. Though a product like this is expensive, it is a good investment in the long run.
- Consult with the supplier if you are confused. Their advice will surely help you out in times of need.
- Be careful when you are using the corded ones. Keep a distance between the cleaner and the wire or else the device might damage the power supply.
- Don’t use this unit to clean liquids. Doing so will damage the machine, and you could get electrocuted. So, it is best that you use a paper towel or mop for this purpose.
It is clear that the lifespans of different types of vacuum are not the same. Decide what kind of cleaning objective you have and according to that make your purchase.
Enjoy cleaning and have a nice day.